Friday, January 30, 2009

The Schedule

So, I'm in Oz, but this is no holiday. I've decided to shed some light on my daily activites. Ahem...
6:00-6:30am Wake up, eat breaky. Can you say early! I would never wake up this early for school, not for all the mallows in me Marshmallow Mateys. Heck, I haven't woken up this early since my junior year in high school, but as is the life to live a dream.
6:20-7:00 get picked up by Nat to drive out to Harden, a 50 minuite drive
8:00 arrive at the barn, start feeding the horses and get the first horse out for riding

8:30-12:30 During the day I get nine horses tacked up, wraps on their legs, and ready for Nat to ride them as well as untacking them after being riden, hose them down, put their sheets back on and attend to any cuts or randomies. It's tricky business having horses go in and out. I have to be efficiant in getting horses ready and timed correctly that Nat comes off one and I am handing her the next horse all ready. Plus, I have to know which of the five saddles to use for which horse in conjunction with saddle pad and knowing each horse's bridle. But I almost have it down pat after just a couple days!

After all of Nat's horses are riden I might ride one or two of them and then it's time to work with my own two horses. Timmy and Tommy are quite the handfull with the occasional squeal and kick up of the heals, but they are just ninos letting out their wiggles. One to two other horses might be added to that as other competition horses for me.

Other jobs I do around the barn during the week include cleaning out the tack room, mucking out stalls, cleaning tack, and all round tidying of the area.

When all the horses have been riden and taken care of we grab a quick bite to eat and then head out to teach lessons, give clinics, or ride other horses for people.

On a good day I'll get home around 5-6, but already I have had a 10:00pm arrival home. I love it here and it's beautiful, but it's work. I knew that before I came that this was no semester off for vacation. To top it off this is all done in 37-41 degree celcius weather. Look up the conversion for that one. It's hard work, no lies. I come home everyday buggered! I take a cold shower, eat some food, catch up on the tennis and usually so tired that I'm in bed asleeep by 9:30 to start it all again, 5 days a week. I do work weekends when there is a comp, but that's a future post.

I love what I'm doing and I'm learning a lot! Don't let this sound like I'm a slave. I do what I'm doing to be able to get instruction from an olympic level rider and compete my horses. It's my adventure of a lifetime! But I did want to clarify that I'm not just here mucking around (no pun), it's a lifestyle that can only be worth it if you have the passion, and well I've the epidemic called horse passion fever! I can't wait to start competing my boys! So many adventures ahead I wish I could break out in song n' dance, and seeing as my life is a musical Disney sitcom I might just do that! Tata for now!

1 comment:

gigi said...

You seem to be speaking like an Aussie. This pleases me.I especially appreciate the Tata for now comment.
I really admire you for having the passion to work so hard at this.
You are cool.
Amen.