Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Moment of Silence

To all friends, family, and secret admirers, just want you all to know that I'm safe from the bush fires. It's a real scary thing to be happening here. There are big bush fires here in New South Wales, but the really horrific ones are down in Victoria. There have been entire communities and towns just wiped out from the blaze. And with virtually no warning many people have died. The latest death count is 181, but it's expected to get up to 300 while fire crews go through the ashes of what used to be homes. Every evening I've been glued to the news watching the reports and interviews with people have lost homes that are now living in tent cities thankful to be alive. I've loved seeing the response of the people to this devastation. Over 2 million dollars was fundraised just by one radio station that I listen to. My favorite story was of a boy that donated his $72.25 that he's been saving for a year to go towards a wii, but donated it to the Victora fund. As a nation over 44 million dollars have been raised to go directly to those that have lost so much. Thses are the worst bush fires in Australia history sadly the worst ever in the world. Keep these people in your prayers.

4 comments:

gigi said...

Elena, I'm so glad you posted, I've been so worried every time the fires have come on the news.
What a terrible, terrible thing, I can hardly believe it.

camille said...

i've been thinking a lot about this, too. it's crazy. it seems like the whole country has gone up in flames.

i read an article saying that they think most of the fires were started by arsonists. isn't that terrible?

Unknown said...

It's good to hear that you were away from harms way. Jesse and I love hearing about your adventure and I'm really glad you are enjoying yourself.

He he he, you didn't think I read your bloggie blog did you?

Anonymous said...

Safety first Lena!